The MOW Laborer position will be required to work safely and efficiently. The focus will be to inspect, repair, and maintain the railroad track infrastructure to ensure safe and efficient service to our customers. This is a manual labor position, which requires that the individual becomes proficient in the following skills, duties, and requirements within a prescribed training and introductory period.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect, unload, load, distribute, pick-up, install cross ties, switch ties, other track material and ballast.
- Inspect, unload, distribute, load, pick-up, install, grind, and transpose rail.
- Inspect, load, unload, distribute, pick-up, remove, construct, maintain and repair turnouts.
- Inspect, patrol, construct, install, retire, remove, surface, gauge, line and shift track.
- Inspect, protect, flag, construct, install, maintain, and repair road crossings.
- Inspect, protect, flag, construct, install, maintain, repair, paint, renew and replace bridges.
- Inspect, protect, flag, maintain, repair and construct culverts and tunnels.
- Inspect, dismantle, remove, maintain, repair and paint station facilities.
- Inspect, test, maintain, repair, construct and install scales.
- Inspect, remove, maintain, repair, construct, and install right of way, sand and snow fences.
- Inspect, construct, install, maintain, clean and paint signs.
- Cut and dispose of vegetation.
- Clean debris from switches.
- Remove snow or other foreign materials from track infrastructure.
- Accurate and timely reporting as required
- Read and accurately interpret company documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and federal and state regulations.
- Communicate professionally and effectively.
- Must acquire a comprehensive understanding of track authority.
- Comply with performance metrics measurements and deadlines.
- Practice safe work habits and follow company and industry policies, procedures and regulations.
- Respond promptly to any accident, incident or emergency call.
- Read gauges, precision measuring instruments, schematics and maintenance manuals 100% of the time.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned.
Requirements and Experience:
- High school education or general education development (GED).
- 3 to 6 months job-related experience; or equivalent of education and experience.
- Valid driver’s license with no restrictions
· Ability to pass training and required testing.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Must have the ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out written and oral instructions.
· Must have the ability to write legibly.
· Must be able to perform duties that require heavy lifting.
· Must be willing to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
· Must be able to have a flexible work schedule.
· Must have the ability to recognize problems.
· Must have knowledge of Roadway Protection Rules.
· Must have a broad understanding of railroad operations.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
· The team member is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and elements, noise, and fumes from gas, oil, and grease.
Machines, Tools, Special Equipment, Personal Protective Equipment Used:
· Hammers, ratchets, chisel, pry bar, wrenches, and brushes.
· PPE; hard hat, vest, safety glasses, FR clothing, gloves, steel toed boots