The Track Inspector position is required to safely and efficiently inspect, repair, and maintain the railroad track infrastructure to insure safe and efficient service to our customers. This position requires that the individual is proficient in and can supervise team members performing the following skills, duties, and requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Inspect, unload, load, distribute, pick-up, install cross ties, switch ties, other track material and ballast.
2. Inspect, unload, distribute, load, pick-up, install, grind, and transpose rail.
3. Inspect, load, unload, distribute, pick-up, remove, construct, maintain and repair turnouts.
4. Inspect for defects, patrol, construct, install, retire, remove, surface, gauge, line and shift track.
5. Inspect, protect, flag, construct, install, maintain, and repair road crossings.
6. Inspect, protect, flag, construct, install, maintain, repair, paint, renew and replace bridges.
7. Inspect, protect, flag, maintain, repair and construct culverts and tunnels.
8. Inspect, dismantle, remove, maintain, repair and paint station facilities.
9. Inspect, test, maintain, repair, construct and install scales.
10. Inspect, remove, maintain, repair, construct, and install right of way, sand and snow fences
11. Inspect, construct, install, maintain, clean and paint signs.
12. Cut and dispose of vegetation.
13. Clean debris from switches.
14. Remove snow or other foreign materials from track infrastructure.
15. Accurate and timely reporting as required.
16. Read and accurately interpret company documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and federal and state regulations.
17. Communicate professionally and effectively.
18. Must possess a comprehensive understanding of track authority.
19. Comply with performance metrics measurements and deadlines.
20. Practice safe work habits and follow company and industry policies, procedures and regulations.
21. Respond promptly to any accident, incident or emergency call.
22. Inspect completed work to insure quality and compliance with established track standards.
23. Assist in training and directing track laborers.
24. Obtain and operate under track warrants.
25. Read and analyze reports, blueprints, and other technical materials.
26. Assisting with the cost estimates and proposals.
27. Prepare inspection reports.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- High school education or general education development (GED).
- Higher education or university program certificate or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 1 year track inspection experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- The team member in this job must pass specific tests/qualifications that are regulated for compliance/safety in order to retain the position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have the ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out written and oral instructions.
- Must have the ability to write legibly.
- Must be able to perform duties that require heavy lifting.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Must be able to have a flexible work schedule.
- Must have the ability to recognize problems.
- Must have knowledge of and be able apply the Roadway Protection Rules.
- Must have a broad understanding of railroad operations.
- Must have knowledge of and be able to apply the FRA Track Safety Standards.
- Must have experience in operating railroad equipment.
- Must have the ability to apply concepts of basic math and calculate figures.
- Must have the ability to perform duties without direct supervision.
- Must have familiarity with employment practices.
- Must have familiarity with applicable governmental regulations.