This position is for a Steam Locomotive Mechanic whose responsibilities will focus on repairing, rebuilding and operations of steam and diesel locomotives along with maintaining and repairing our fleet of vintage passenger cars. This is a hands-on position that will allow a self-starting candidate to thrive.
- Maintain and rebuild steam and diesel locomotives for use on the excursion train
- Must have a working knowledge of train operations, current 49CFR242 and/or 49CFR240 qualifications preferred.
- Must be able to think quickly on the job and safely perform the duties assigned.
- Must understand air brake and mechanical system of a train and locomotives and pass a written test to verify competency.
- Inspect, service, and maintain daily tourist operations to ensure a successful trip.
- Perform car maintenance and repair functions, including daily and periodic inspections and repair
- Operate and fire locomotives and utilize proper practices in their operation
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with team members, customers, and management
- Collaborate with other members of team to ensure an efficient operation
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Three (3) years of experience in the steam locomotive mechanical field preferred
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Available be able to travel, including holidays
- Basic knowledge of electrical and mechanical equipment and repair
- Must be able to work any day of week depending on workload and requirements
- Must be able to climb ladders, use hand tools, operate a locomotive, and worked in confined spaces such as inspections pits, generator rooms, and electrical cabinets
- Must also be committed to promoting a safe workplace
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds
- Able to work outside in all weather conditions
- Must be able to climb inside and outside of equipment, and be able to operate heavy equipment, cranes, forklifts, jacking equipment and specialty equipment
- Metal Fabrication and welding experience
- Manual machinist
- Applicant must be currently authorized to work permanently in the United States
- Applicant must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check